Published: Mon, June 19, 2017
World News | By Carolyn Briggs

Resistance camp pays tributes to killed civilians, militants

J&K police on Saturday identified the three militants who were killed in Arwani village of Anantnag district after a day-long gunfight on Friday.

Confusing situation prevailed in Kashmir today as some parts were shut, others restricted by authorities and the rest remained open and normal. Police officials suspected two to three militants are present in the village.

Junaid Mattoo, a resident of Khudwani village in Kulgam, was acting as the district commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba, police said.

Besides 24-year-old Mattoo alias "Jana", the other two bodies were of 18-year-old Adil Mushtaq Mir alias "Nana" and 20-year-old Nisar Ahmad Wani.

More news: US shoots down Syrian Air Force fighter
More news: Protesters storm local town hall after deadly London fire
More news: Special counsel Mueller investigating Jared Kushner's finances, Washington Post reports

"He was involved in killing of police Constable at Bogund, Kulgam on 15th of this month". The area has now been cordoned off. "Due to widespread support for militants these days, it is hard to make out who is a ultras and who is not", a police officer said.

However, when encounter was going on, an unruly mob instigated by militants started pelting stones with an intention to disturb the operation and give chance to holed up militants to escape, he said. Also, in the shameful and cowardly act, the militants who ambushed the police party disfigured the faces of the six cops slain in the attack before walking away with their weapons, news agency PTI reported quoting police.

A police contingent on patrol in south Kashmir's Anantnag district was ambushed by a heavily-armed group of terrorists on Friday evening. Police said the militants were firing on police and army positions from these houses. Eyewitnesses said these militants offered gun salutes to the slain militants and were seen hugging their bodies as people jostled to catch glimpse of them on their mobile phones. "In the firing exchange Naik Bakhtawar Singh was grievously injured and succumbed to his injuries while being evacuated to the military hospital". The incident took place when Feroz Ahmed, a 2010 batch sub-inspector, was on his way to Achabal police station after completing his duty in Anantnag.

Like this: